Cleaning with Vinegar





One of my favorite cleaners is Shaklee’s Basic H2. However my second favorite cleaner is vinegar and I use fairly often in my cleaning. Recently I tried it on my toilet. I’ve been using Mrs. Meyers toilet bowl cleaner (another natural cleaner). I do love Mrs. Meyers. It smells very nice, works very well, and is ok to use when you have a septic system. But it is on the expensive side.

So this is what I did…

I poured about a ½ cup of vinegar inside my toilet tank and let it sit for 30 minutes, then flushed.. I then poured a little vinegar into my toilet bowl, let it sit for a few minutes and swished it around. My toilet bowl was sparkly and clean, except in a few areas where there were still stains where the water fills up the toilet bowl. So I tried something else..

I put ¾ cup baking soda into a plastic container and added about 10 drops of orange & lemongrass essential oils (I wanted the nice smell :).

Then I added ¾ cup vinegar to this mixture. It fizzed quite a bit..

I poured this into the toilet bowl and swished it around, let it sit for about 5 minutes and swished it around some more using a bit of elbow grease for the tough spots. After flushing again the stains were pretty much gone (I could see a few light traces in a couple of places). Over all I was pleased with the results and the bathroom smelled great! 





Vinegar makes a great cleaner for a few reasons..

Vinegar works as a great germ and bacteria killer. It’s the acetic acid in the vinegar that kills the germs.

Vinegar also absorbs orders, rather than masking them. The smell of vinegar will linger for about 20 minutes or so and then it will be gone leaving the room smelling clean.

Vinegar is also dirt cheap! A gallon of vinegar is very inexpensive and will go a long way cleaning your home.

Vinegar is a much better than the harsh chemicals in typical cleaning supplies (other than the all natural ones such as Shaklee Basic H2 & Mrs. Meyers).


More to come on this topic… 



Comments

  1. Vinegar is one of the best cleaners I love to use. And your right, it's dirt cheap! I have not done the toilet the way you have but, will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I had not thought about putting some in the tank. Thanks for that tip. Nancy http://cozythymecottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. O yes, I love vinegar also. I keep a squirt bottle of it in the kitchen and one in the bathroom and also on my hardwood floors-when I am too lazy to pull out the steam cleaner , I will squirt a wee bit on the floor and wipe clean with a cleaning rag and it just shines. O , and also as a rinse on my hair .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good cleaning tips! I will have to try them out as soon as my store bought cleaners run out (truthfully I can hardly wait till they're gone so I can go more natural).
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using vinegar for a few years and it is great. I also us it in my softener compartment in the washer as a softener and it works. I have been using it in the bleach compartment of late for my sons cat has taken to pee on anything that is on the floor(he is mad at my son for leaving for a time)and it has been working, the great thing is it is safe for colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great alternative. It definitely works but i dont use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so surprised when the Dawn Vinegar and Baking soda worked so well on my entire bathroom. Was so shining and smelled so clean
    .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baking soda and vinegar? I am going to try it RIGHT now! Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub